Thursday, November 09, 2006

30-Faces; Day 9


"Butch"
Pencil on sketchpad, unretouched

I was on break the other day (at my paying job) and a few coworkers came in and saw me 'sketching' and said, "I didn't know you were an ARTIST!" I looked at them as if they had 3 eyes and said, "You know there are many FORMS of art. I am a writer, a poet, a painter, a stained glass artist, jeweler, etc."

I should have never said anything, but my poor ego was a bit bruised. So...one coworker asked if I would 'sketch' her husband from an old photo (Okay...God, I get it...it's NOT about me!).

I've only met Butch once but this photo she brought me looks nothing like the man I met. He is an alcohol who is dying. I would like to get a current picture and sketch it, but don't want to offend her. I brought her this 'rough sketch' today and she loves it and is going to hang it up for her husband. Hopefully it won't be too painful to remember the not so distant past.

I really like the look of Charcoal better than pencil, but I like the non-smearing of pencil (I am left handed and really struggle with smearing). Is there an in-between pencil/charcoal? I think I use too much pressure for pastels.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i dont know much about pencils/charcoals/pens, etc. i was given everything as gifts and handmedowns, so i just use what i have. maybe one day i will actually get educated on all this.

nice pic though, it's done very well.

6:20 AM  
Blogger owenswain said...

You might like to try a charcoal pencil. You are able to blend but the smudging is more controlled because of it being in a pencil form.

You may also want to try a 4B or up in a graphite pencil to get the thicker softer lines without the smudging of charcoal.

It is said that writer's write. It stands to reason then that artists are those who make art...in all its wondeful forms.

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the 4B and up is a great idea. You might also try a conte crayon. It's shaped like a pastel, but it's not as soft, and it comes in a sepia and black I think.
As far as the smudging, did you ever try putting a pice of tracing paper(or even copy paper) under your arm? That keeps your hand from touching the rest of the work as you ontinue to draw. Hope that helps!

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home